I first have to admit I haven't read "Mind over Medicine" yet but I had to find out about Lissa as soon as a girl friend sent me an article discussing the book.
The reason I was so drawn to the title is that I almost actually lived this concept over the last 13 yrs and was looking into the process of selling my memoir of the journey.
When I told my doctor I would walk again in 2 weeks, a full 6 weeks after breaking my neck and becoming a quadriplegic, with her head tilted sideways, she sadly shook her head "No". I had no idea what being a quad really was; I had no idea how hard it was going to be; I have to admit I was completely naive and ignorant but I also wasn't going down without a fight. What I didn't realize was that a large part of the fight was the battle against the so called 'health' industry that was, maybe unintentionally, trying to hold me down. While I had goals of my body, an organism designed to be moving, to return to it's natural state, the 'professionals', that were going about their factory, mass production, product pushing mentality, were getting frustrated with me for not staying between the narrow lines they were drawing for me and the other patients. I was adding kinks in the monotonous routine to most of their daily jobs. They wanted to do what they did on a daily basis with the least amount of fluctuation or resistance possible; I, however, wanted to get out of my new means of mobility-a wheelchair.

When I went to my pressure marketed, 'very important' appointment to the staff urologist for a follow up exam roughly a year after the injury, I had no idea that it would be the last doctor I would waste my time ever seeing again (thus far). His prescription included 3 choices; do nothing and I would kill my kidneys and require dialysis, he could give me a drug that would cause me to have to wear diapers the rest of my life or he could go in with a laser and zap the sphincter and I would have to catheterize myself daily for the rest of my life. Three death sentences all designed to attack the sphincter when I knew it had nothing to do with the sphincter, it was muscle spasms.

At that point, I decided I was done fighting the industry and fired them all setting out on my own to find people that wanted to see me succeed. I set the course and used their holistic studies to guide me along the path.

Today, as far as I know, I am the most successfully recovered quadriplegic in the world. I haven't seen a doctor since 2001 other than 2 physicals in order to get a referrals to my chiropractor (a BS insurance requirement that paid for nothing anyway) and to get my handicap parking permit renewal 'prescription'. The four factors I contribute to my success in order of importance are; a lot of luck, a great surgeon, a tremendous amount of determination and work and finally the firing of the drug/procedure pushing pessimistic western medical system. The longer I have been out of their clenches, the more I can see through their BS.
If/when my book gets published, it has many purposes; an underdog story-inspirational to anyone with an ailment,  a supporter/promotor of the 'alternative' and holistic methods as well as an attack of the common practices followed by the industries which are very possibly the cause of much of the health issues today.

There are several movements forming around the world and I want to join and maybe add a little edge to as I am a rebellious guy with an ax to grind. If I would have followed their lead I would still be in a wheelchair and I want to protect others from the same misguidance. Good luck to all here looking for answers.

Views: 344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jerry,

This is an awesome post, thanks for sharing. Hope you'll take the time to keep your rebellious self active within the community. Each of us has so much to offer, and I truly hope that each of us is confident enough to let our freak flag fly and play our part in making a difference. We really are making a difference.

Namaste, Ken

Thanks Ken,
I'm on a mission and looking for my niche so I will be bouncing while finding my place in this movement. Hope all will start to open their yes; obviously people here are already on their way.

Jerry

Ken Jaques said:

Jerry,

This is an awesome post, thanks for sharing. Hope you'll take the time to keep your rebellious self active within the community. Each of us has so much to offer, and I truly hope that each of us is confident enough to let our freak flag fly and play our part in making a difference. We really are making a difference.

Namaste, Ken

Well said. I'm bouncing a wee bit myself. Check out Lissa's web site and blogs. I do some of that myself at kenjaques.com. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out.
Cheers,
Ken

Thanks again; any ties into the publishing who would love this type memoir? I've quickly looked at Lissa' web and blog and watched the hour interview with her. I'll check yours out.

Jerry

Ken Jaques said:

Well said. I'm bouncing a wee bit myself. Check out Lissa's web site and blogs. I do some of that myself at kenjaques.com. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out.
Cheers,
Ken

But you did not say if your out of the chair,or what you really did and how your doing now.......Why???

Well I very much implied that I am out of the chair; "...I am the most successfully recovered quadriplegic in the world." I haven't filled in the details because it is not a simple answer; it is a book within itself. I am 80% finished with the book and then will have to market it in order to find an agent. I expect it will be about a year (I am not a professional writer so it is a cumbersome process for me but have gotten excellent reviews from a few who have read what is written thus far); stay tuned for "Talk the Walk".

Jerry,

If you haven't already heard of her, google Suzette Faith Foster.  She had a biking accident and experienced the same injury as Christopher Reeves and 8 weeks later was riding her bike again.  She has a book and a fantastic story about how she healed herself from being a quadriplegic.

As for your own health, just forgive the people that didn't believe in you and upset you most. Forgive them for what they did not know and continue to heal.

Bob B

Thanks Bob,

I don't know her story but will check it out. But...she didn't have the same injury as CR because his was a complete injury which means severed spinal cord. She did (as did I) break the same vertebra which means nothing (sort of, of course) until the cord comes into play. Luck played a huge role in both of our recovery due to not having a severed or severely damaged spinal cord. Again, not knowing her story, if she was biking in 8 weeks, barley damaged but...defying the odds is still huge.

As far as the people that didn't believe in me means nothing to me; never did, they were just more obstacles to overcome. People not as strong as SFF (assumed) and myself will become victims of a business that wants people sick; customer security. It is this current system and what it continues to do to people that my story wants to expose. Thanks again for the heads up, I look forward to seeing what she has done.

Jerry

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Melanie Bates.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service